Still working to recover. Please don't edit quite yet.
Unpaid workers are those who work (WP) without pay. These may be either members of a family (WP) or cooperative (WP); conscripts or forced labor; volunteer (WP) workers who work for charity or amusement; students (WP) who take intern positions as work experience; or conventional workers who are not paid because their enterprise is short of money (WP) or subject to embezzlement.
Bloggers working unpaid for news outlets
The benefits of Volunteerism (WP) aside, with pressure on newspaper outlets to cut costs, replacing paid staff with unpaid workers gives no monetary advantage to the unpaid workers, a monetary advantage to the papers, and a monetary disadvantage to the paid staff.
As an unpaid arts blogger for Wikipedia:The San Diego Union Tribune, Katherine Sweetman wrote a resignation piece in the Union Tribune blog suggesting a boycott of the paper by visual artists in response to the layoff of art critic Robert Pincus. The action was widely reported in California in online articles and staff blogs, along with some nationwide attention, including Wikipedia:Voice of San Diego, Wikipedia:The LA Times, Fishbowl LA, Modern Art Notes, Wikipedia:San Diego CityBeat, Bay Area Observer, and the Wikipedia:San Diego Reader.
|This article contains content from Wikipedia
An article on this subject has been nominated for deletion on Wikipedia:
Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/
Current versions of the GNU FDL article on WP may contain information useful to the improvement of this article
- Wage slavery (WP)
- Wage labor (WP)
- Wikipedia:Voluntary slavery
- Jone L. Pearce (1993). Volunteers.
- Arts article: Local artist lashes out at U-T, in the U-T, Voice of San Diego, Kelly Bennett. Retrieved 17 February 2011.
- Arts article: U-T editor: 'Our arts section is pretty good', Voice of San Diego, Kelly Bennett. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- Reporter's blog: Arts writer urges boycott of San Diego Union-Tribune, The Los Angeles Times, David Ng. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- Union-Tribune Blogger Quitsâ€¦ on Her First Day, Fishbowl LA, Richard Horgan. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- Blog: Paper lays off critic, reader lays into paper, Modern Art Notes, Tyler Green. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- Editorial blog: Katherine Sweetman's First and Last Stand, San Diego CityBeat, Kinsee Morlan. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- Editor's blog: Cheapskate arts coverage backfires on newspaper, Bay Area Observer, Ron Russell. Retrieved 19 February 2011.
- Staff blog: Boycott U-T, Says Arts Writer, San Diego Reader, Don Bauder. Retrieved 19 February 2011.