Still working to recover. Please don't edit quite yet.
Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands
| Motto: tba|
Musical Anthem: I am what I am
|Type of entity:||Micronation|
|Location:||Coral Sea Islands|
|Area claimed:||Coral Sea Island Territory|
|Membership:||Gay & Lesbian people|
|Date of foundation:||2004 June 14|
|Leadership:|| Emperor Dale I|
(Dale Parker Anderson)
|Purported organisational structure:||Constitutional monarchy|
On 2004 June 14, the group 'claimed' the Coral Sea Island Territory and 'seceded' from Australia after sailing to the largest island in the group and raising the rainbow flag there. One of the group's members, Dale Parker Anderson (born 1965), was declared Emperor, as Dale I. The "secession" was staged in protest at a decision to ban gay marriage made by the Australian parliament.
Since 2005 the Australian group has allegedly been embroiled in internal disputes and "secessions" by various factions. These include two American-based groups, the Gay and Lesbian Commonwealth Kingdom, headed by Jaix Broox, and the Unified Gay Tribe, led by Bill Freeman and Enrique PÃ©rez, and the German based Gay Homeland Foundation led by Victor Zimmermann. Allegedly, none of these groups claims the territory of the Coral Sea Islands, so their organisational nature is unclear.
The "kingdom's" claims are not recognised by any state, and as no permanent settlement has been established, the Coral Sea Islands remain uninhabited by humans.
- "Mini-states Down Under are sure they can secede", by Nick Squires, The Daily Telegraph (UK), 2005 February 24.
- "If at first you don't secede...", by Mark Dapin, The Sydney Morning Herald - Good Weekend, 2005 February 12, pp 47-50
- Official website of the Kingdom
- Website of the "Gay and Lesbian Commonwealth Kingdom"
- Website of the "Gay Homeland Foundation"
- Website of the "Unified Gay Tribe"
- The "Gay and Lesbian Kingdom" discussion group on Yahoo.
|This article contains content from Wikipedia. Current versions of the GNU FDL article Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands on WP may contain information useful to the improvement of this article||WP|