Still working to recover. Please don't edit quite yet.
|You can help Anarchopedia by expanding this article|
Facebook (facebook.com) is a privately owned website, USA based, hosting a large social network. Social activists have expressed concerns about the use of corporate-backed tools for organizing, due to the fact that you can't know how your private data is handled. Alternative managed by activists like we.riseup.net.
"With a court order, Facebook will release even more information about you. They've even developed an application called "Neoprint" to deliver a handy packet of information about subscribers, including profile contact information, mini-feed, friend listing (with friend's Facebook ID), group listing and messages."
Censorship on Facebook is usually opaque, meaning that no record is shown and no reason posted when content or a user are removed or suspended.
You never know what they will block tomorrow. No you can't send 'such' message to your girlfriend or wife, because: â€œThis message has been reported abusive by some Facebook users.â€
- Facebook has not adopted OpenID, despite providing an equivalent custom service.
- Facebook chat has adopted the open standard XMPP, but is not federated with the open Jabber network.
- February 2010
- The group "Tell Facebook to use clean energy in its data center" was suspended for 12 hours, with no reason posted. 
- May 2010
- Facebook blocks bittorrent link for downloading Ubuntu GNU/Linux. 
You can report more instances of censorship
Freer, more open and FLOSS alternatives to Facebook exist and are emerging:
- RetroShare, secure friend-to-friend application, beta software
- gnewbook.org, website based on beta software Elgg
- we.riseup.net, website based on Crabgrass
- Facebook Censorship; Won't Allow Ubuntu Torrent