Still working to recover. Please don't edit quite yet.
Social programs cut by 112th USA Congress
The programs are small, the problems that cutting them are supposed to solve, huge. But counting on fooling enough Americans enough of the time is something the establishment (and its bastions it knows stands just within reach to the right) have grown accustomed to.
- See also: Public Broadcasting Service
The states spend much more than the US federal government, and the licence fee holders spend much more than the UK government, but that's not the issue here. Those who wish to cut PBS funding are declaring huge savings for the federal government, but that argument is shown to be utterly impractical. Are they just impractical? Or is there another motivation?
The USA had a population between 281,421,906 (2000 Census) and 308,745,538 (2010 Census) in 2005, when the federal government spent $456K on PBS, mostly via the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (WP).
This works out to between 0.15 cent per person and 0.16 (100 cents to the dollar, but you should know that already).
This works out to $8.03 per person. And that's just what the government spent. The licence fees brought in more than 10 times that much (Â£3,493.8 million).
So the US federal government spends roughly 0.00018 times, or .018%, as much on public broadcasting as the UK government. Not just a drop in the bucket, but a drop in the ocean.
As deficit reduction
Ran it up in the first place with wars
- "America is Not Broke!": Michael Moore addresses thousands in Madison, Wisconsin March 07, 2011
- As Public Broadcasting and Community Media Face Potentially Massive Cuts at Home, Hillary Clinton Calls for Increased Funding for U.S. Propaganda Overseas
- Union Voices from Madison: "We Will Be Out Here Marching Until Justice is Served"
- Naomi Klein on Anti-Union Bills and Shock Doctrine American-Style: "This is a Frontal Assault on Democracy, Itâ€™s a Kind of a Corporate Coup Dâ€™Etat"
As financial stimulus
The middlemen are the weak link
- US Fed Chairman demands plan to cut social programs by Barry Grey "Maintaining the confidence of the financial markets" for the captains of industry
Protection against job killers
And the Republican cure for ad nauseum is...?
As New World Order
- Wrecking the American Dream By Stephen Lendman