Still working to recover. Please don't edit quite yet.
Owl kicking incident
|An article on this subject was deleted on Wikipedia:
Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/
Junior's unofficial mascot owl
WP administrators can restore the edit history
of this page upon request
Someone paid to be obtuse got paid for saying things like, "The cause of death was shock, possibly brought on by excessive handling as medical staff fussed over it after Moreno's kick." and, "Violence against opponents is typical in most sports. Fans accept that....But cruelty to animals incites them to rage." and reciting a macabre list of other such incidents:
- "Late in a tight hockey game, for whatever reason, Carlton the Bear wanders out onto the ice and is chinned with a slapshot. While the Leafs mascot lies there, stunned, an opponent skates up and begins viciously beating him with his stick. Within a few days, Carlton expires from his injuries. Again, in the Toronto context, this sparks a huge local debate about how many compensatory draft picks we are owed for one dead bear."
- "Other notorious incidents include Mississippi State football coach Jackie Sherrill having a bull castrated in front of his team as a motivational exercise; and golfer Tripp Isenhour chasing around an annoying hawk, and eventually killing it with a drive. Sherill got no punishment. (His team beat overwhelming favourite Texas the next week.) Isenhour was fined and sentenced to community service.
- "Torontonians will remember then-Yankee Dave Winfield killing a seagull with a thrown ball at the old Exhibition Stadium. The resulting scandal trailed Winfield on all his visits to Toronto â€” right up until he joined the Jays and helped drive them to their first World Series."
People who take direct action in the area of animal rights are not only on one side of the debate. Other anti-animal rights activity:
The cat dumper denies the story as reported by the Sun. Both the CCTV owners and a Telegraph correspondent were surprised to find the perpetrator was not "a furtive teenager wearing a hoodie"
- Video:Footballer apologises for owl mascot death
- Colombian owl kicked by Panamanian defender Luis Moreno dies of shock Guardian
- Being watched Telegraph
- Woman who dumped cat in wheelie bin loves animals, mother claims CCTV owner: "When we found Lola in the bin, we expected it to be the work of a drunk teenager. But when we saw this respectable-looking middle aged woman in the footage, we couldn't believe our eyes"
- 'Being watched' correspondent: "If a furtive teenager wearing a hoodie had carried out exactly the same deed, many of us would be nodding to ourselves: what else would you expect from that type of young villain? But a middle-aged, sensibly-dressed woman? Surely thereâ€™s something wrong here?"