AK Press is a worker-run book publisher and distributer that specializes in anarchist publications. It is organized as an anarchist collective, its members work together without relying on internal hierarchies, without corporate structure, without bosses and without managers. Its website states, "We’ve replaced hierarchy with cooperation, accountability, and responsibility of our individual members."
AK Press is one of world's largest distributors and publishers of anarchist and left-wing books.<ref name=MI>Information on AK Press in Melbourne Indymedia</ref> Established in Edinburgh, Scotland in 1990,<ref name=PW/> it distributes more than 100,000 books per year.<ref name=MI/> U.S. branch of the AK Press was opened in 1994. It has doubled the number of units it sells over the past decade and grossed $1.4 million in 2007.<ref name=PW/> AK Press publishes an estimated fifteen new titles each year.<ref>Aaron Steelman, The New Anarchist Literature</ref>
According to Craig O'Hara, who handles East Coast sales, one-third of AK Press' revenue comes from selling books direct to customers through mail order and the Internet. Today it reaches out to the book trade for its own list through Consortium. It also sells to other wholesalers and booksellers on behalf of the 100 exclusive distribution publishers (about 40 to 50 active clients) it represents. Don Allen, general manager of Busboys & Poets in Washington, D.C. said, "There's no better source for books on anarchy. When we opened our store in Virginia, we used AK Press for a high percentage of our inventory." He turns to AK Press for books which are not easily available from other presses. More than 50% of AK Press' distribution clients are one-book publishers or organizations.<ref name=PW/>
Distributors and wholesalers which sell titles published by the AK Press are Last Gasp in San Francisco, California, Ingram Book Group in La Vergne, Tennessee, Baker & Taylor in Charlotte, North Carolina, Profane Existence in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Disticore in Canada, Jura Books in Australia, Virus in Spain, Microcosm, Consortium, No Idea and Tree of Knowledge.<ref>Wholesale Information AK Press</ref>
AK Press has published books by many well-known and lesser known authors. Some of the famous authors whose books have been published by the AK Press are Noam Chomsky, Ward Churchill, Arundhati Roy, Daniel Cohn-Bendit, Paul Avrich, Howard Zinn, Derrick Jensen, Fredy Perlman, John Zerzan etc.
 Some notable publication
Some of the notable books published by the AK Press are:
- Joel Andreas (2004). Addicted to War, ISBN 9781904859017.
- Alexander Berkman (2003). What is Anarchism?, ISBN 9781902593708.
- Steven Best and Nocella, Anthony J. (2006), Igniting A Revolution: Voices in Defense of the Earth, ISBN 9781904859567.
- Noam Chomsky (2005). Chomsky on Anarchism, ISBN 9781904859208.
- Ward Churchill (2003). On the Justice of Roosting Chickens, ISBN 9781902593791.
- Daniel Cohn-Bendit (2001). Obsolete Communism: The Left-Wing Alternative, ISBN 9781902593258.
- Norman Finkelstein (2005). An Issue Of Justice: Origins Of The Israel/Palestine Conflict, ISBN 9781904859239.
- Agustin Guillamon (1996). The Friends Of Durruti Group: 1937-1939, ISBN 9781873176542.
- Derrick Jensen (2006). Endgame Volume I: The Problem Of Civilization, ISBN 9781583227305 and Endgame Volume II: Resistance, ISBN 9781583227244.
- Fredy Perlman (2002). Against His-Story, Against Leviathan, ISBN 9780934868259.
- Rudolf Rocker, with an introduction by Noam Chomsky (2004). Anarcho-Syndicalism: Theory and Practice, ISBN 9781902593920.
- Edward Said (Contributor), Norman Finkelstein (Contributor), Jeffrey St. Clair (Editor), and Alexander Cockburn (Editor) (2003). The Politics Of Anti-Semitism, ISBN 9781902593777.
- John Zerzan (2005). Against Civilization: Readings and Reflections, ISBN 9780922915989.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 About AK Press AK Press
- ↑ Judith Rosen, Anarchy Reigns at AK Press Publishers Weekly
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Chomsky On Anarchism AK Press
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 On the Justice of Roosting Chickens: Reflections on the Consequences of U.S. Imperial Arrogance and Criminality AK Press
- ↑ Public Power In The Age Of Empire AK Press
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Obsolete Communism: The Left-Wing Alternative AK Press
- ↑ The Modern School Movement: Anarchism And Education In The United States AK Press
- ↑ A Power Governments Cannot Suppress AK Press
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Endgame Volume I: The Problem Of Civilization AK Press
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Against His-Story, Against Leviathan AK Press
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Against Civilization: Readings And Reflections AK Press
- ↑ Addicted to War: Why the U.S. Can't Kick Militarism AK Press
- ↑ What is Anarchism? AK Press
- ↑ Igniting A Revolution: Voices in Defense of the Earth AK Press
- ↑ An Issue Of Justice: Origins Of The Israel/Palestine Conflict AK Press
- ↑ The Friends Of Durruti Group: 1937-1939 AK Press
- ↑ Endgame Volume II: Resistance AK Press
- ↑ Anarcho-Syndicalism: Theory and Practice AK Press
- ↑ The Politics Of Anti-Semitism AK Press
 Further readings
- Tobias Carroll, I've got a name: Music, Radical, Politics, and AK Press