Federación Anarquista Ibérica
The Federación Anarquista Ibérica (FAI, Iberian Anarchist Federation) is a Spanish organization of Anarchist (Anarcho-Syndicalist) militants active within affinity groups inside the Confederación Nacional del Trabajo (CNT) trade union. It is often abbrieviated as CNT-FAI because of the close relationship between the two organizations. The FAI publishes the periodical Tierra y Libertad.
The Iberian part of its name alludes to the purpose of unifying Spanish and Portuguese anarchists in a Pan-Iberian organization. The FAI meetings were attended by members of the União Anarquista Portuguesa and the Confederação Geral do Trabalho (including the Zaragoza Congress of the CNT in 1936).
It was founded Valencia in 1927 (after a preliminary meeting the previous year in Marseille, France), to campaign for keeping the CNT on an Anarchist path by challenging the bureaucracy of CNT - which it viewed as having grown to become a mediating link between labor and capital, rather than a representative of the working class. This issue was becoming especially tense, as Miguel Primo de Rivera's dictatorial regime took over in Spain, and engineered a crackdown on labor movements.
Since Franco's death, and Spain's transition to democracy, the FAI has continued to function. Though the organization shares members with the CNT, the FAI's membership is secret.
- ↑ Roca Martínez, p.116
- Stuart Christie, We, the anarchists! A study of the Iberian Anarchist Federation (FAI) 1927-1937, ChristieBooks (distributed by Central Books), 128pp, ISBN 1901172066
- Beltrán Roca Martínez, (2006). "Anarchism, anthropology and Andalucia: an analysis of the CNT and 'New Capitalism'," Anarchist Studies, 14, 106–130.
- Vivir la Utopia ("Living Utopia") by Juan Gamero, Arte-Televisión Española, Catalunya 1997.Short description and link to view the film.
 See also
 External links
- The Spanish Revolution, 1936-39 Anarchy Now! resource page
- FAI articles on libcom.org
- Spanish Anarchism
- Tierra y Libertad
|This article contains content from Wikipedia. Current versions of the GNU FDL article Federación Anarquista Ibérica on WP may contain information useful to the improvement of this article||WP|